Have you ever dreamt of getting off your means of transport and find yourself directly in the hotel, without the hassle of spending more time travelling? If you had, Hotel Mari is the perfect hotel for you: once you get off the ferry on the quay, you just have to walk 100 mts and you can immediately leave your luggage and start experiencing Ponza!
The best way to describe and give you an unbiased idea of this hotel is listing its pros and cons. The hotel definitely has more pros than cons, for example:
- Location: in our opinion it’s the main pro and not just because it’s close to the harbour where you get off, but because it’s in the middle of everything. We mean that in Ponza you have to go around during the day to see the beaches, panoramas and whatsoever, but the heart of the island is the harbour area: here you have all the main shops, bars, restaurants and services. Nightlife, before going clubbing somewhere else, begins here, with people strolling and having a drink along the main road. We could see with our own eyes people staying in other areas, taking the bus to spend their evening by the small square of Ponza. So, unless you are a lover of silence and quietness, by the end of the day, you’ll end up in the harbour area.
- Staff: the people working at Hotel Mari are simply lovely! They are so welcoming, kind and helping that it’s sad to say goodbye! When you arrive in the morning, although the breakfast hall is closed, they offer you something to drink and eat to recover from your trip. Generally speaking, whatever you need, they have a solution for you. We especially would like to thank Ms Martina, who replied all our questions about the best places to see, how to move around and the most typical restaurants. She really knew what she was saying and she gave us a full range of possibilities (specifying pros and cons) we could choose amongst.
- Breakfast: not huge but definitely a high quality breakfast. You can find fresh fruits and homemade cakes, together with other typical products like pecorino cheese or salame. Of course, they also serve you croissant, eggs and other standard food, but Hotel Mari gives you the possibility to taste the flavours of the land. The breakfast hall is very unique, since its roof is excavated in the tufo rocks.
- Cleanliness: the rooms and the hotel in general are very clean and tidy, which is always a plus when travelling. Vanity Set and hair-dryer available in the rooms.
- Views: if you manage to get a room facing the harbour, then every morning when you get up, you’ll enjoy amazing views over the sea and the coast of Ponza, with boats coming to and fro. You could even decide to wake up early and see the sunrise…
- The bathroom on the second floor! No, we are not crazy: the bathroom with shower on the second floor is a wonderful idea, a pro and a plus! These guys know what tourists need and they offer a 360° service. This means that, if your ferry leaves in the late afternoon, but you don’t want to miss your last day by the beach, you can have a shower in this shared bathroom (very clean) and then leave the island totally clean and refreshed. Brillant!
And now the cons:
- Style: the hotel was probably restored during the ‘70s and…it remained like that. So, forget to find an ultra-luxury hotel with led lights, wood floors and stuff like that. The hotel is a bit old-fashioned but, on the other hand, it’s got all you need to enjoy a pleasant holiday.
- Modern comforts: basically the hotel has all the standard comforts you may need, air-con included. You can also have wi-fi: the con about this, is that you have to pay for it (not included in the room rates). Some of the rooms are a little bit small, but you can ask for a big one. By the end of the day, it depends on the holiday you are planning to have: if you see your hotel just as a place to sleep (as we did), then a room like ours is ok, although the bathroom was a little bit small and the mezzanine is not always comfortable.
Having been in Ponza and experienced it all, Hotel Mari is definitely a good place for your stay: the location and the lovely staff let us forget about the style and the small details, that may turn it into the hotel number 1 in Ponza!
Our tip: the rooms facing the harbour are amazing, thanks to their wonderful views, but if you want to sleep at night, then ask for a room in the back side, because people talking on the road may be disturbing.